Lassi is a popular drink in India that is delicious all year round, but perfectly refreshing in the summer. They can be made sweet and dessert-like or simple and healthy. Just like a smoothie, lassi is a great way to get the most out of your fruits by keeping them raw. What makes lassi different from a basic fruit smoothie is that they’re made with yogurt, but just like everything else – it’s super easy to make them vegan.
- 1 medium papaya
- 1 cup non-dairy yogurt (I used vanilla soy yogurt)
- 1 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 5 ice cubes
- Brown sugar if desired
- Slice the papaya in half lengthwise and deseed.
- Scoop out all the insides into a blender, leaving only the skin behind.
- Add yogurt, cardamom, vanilla extract, sugar and blend for about 1 minute.
- Now add ice cubes and blend for another minute.
- Pour into glasses (serve with a sprinkle of cardamom on top for flair)
In Cuban Spanish papayas are called “fruta bomba” and they’re called “papita (पपीता)” in Hindi.
Is this your first time having lassi? Let me know your thoughts or what tweaks you made to the recipe!