Most food is comfort food to me, but there’s nothing like the smell of a fresh, homemade apple pie wafting through your home. Some recipes for apple pie can be daunting, so I’ve written down the simplest way to make a delicious pie under 2 hours.Apple pie is so easily made vegan; this is a delicious dessert that’s both health friendly and animal friendly! Bring this dish to any event or serve it at your next family dinner, I’ve never met someone who doesn’t enjoy apple pie. Plus, the look on people’s faces after you tell them the dessert they just adored was vegan is worth way more than the hour it takes to make this apple pie recipe.
- 2 cups unbleached all purpose flour
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 2/3 + 1/8 cups cold vegan butter
- 3-7 tbsp cold water
- 1 tbsp non-dairy milk
- 5 cups sliced apples
- 1/4 cup cane sugar
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 2 tbsp of water
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tbsp all purpose flour
- Preheat your oven to 400 degrees F.
- For the filling: peel and cut the apples into small slices. Mix them with cinnamon, flour, sugar and water and set aside.
- For the crust: mix flour, salt and cinnamon in a large bowl. Then add the butter and mix together until you get a crumbly texture.
- Add 1 tbsp of cold water to the crust mixture until a loose dough forms.
- Place the dough on a floured surface and begin kneading.
- Divide the dough into two balls, one larger than the other.
- Flour your rolling pin and slowly flatten the larger ball of dough so that it will cover the bottom and edges of your pie pan. Remove any excess dough hanging over the edges and roll it back into the other ball of dough.
- Add in the apple filling while leaving out most of the extra liquid.
- Now roll out the other crust. For a traditional look, lay the whole crust over the apples and cut open a few holes in center so steam can be released. OR cut the flattened dough into strips and create a lattice top as I've done.
- Press the edges of the top and lower crust together and gently brush the pie with a nondairy milk and sprinkle sugar over it.
- Bake the pie for 40-50 minutes until you see a golden color, taking care to watch that the edges don't burn.
- Important! Make sure your pie sits untouched for 2 hours after baking so the filling will thicken. Then garnish with fresh mint before serving.
- Try this tutorial for creating a lattice pie crust and check here for some decorative pie crust inspiration.
Apple pie was one of the first recipes I learned to make as a kid. Cooking is fun, but my first love is baking. Pie recipes are so customizable, so experiment with your spices and filling. Let me know what your absolute favorite type of pie is or share a picture of your finished product in the comments below!