One of my first vegan pasta recipes! This dish will become such a staple in your repertoire and is so quick to prepare and easy to customize. Once you’re comfortable with it, try changing things up! Switch the pasta type, add or subtract vegetables, and if you’re not vegan you can serve it with fish. I’ve never met anyone who didn’t enjoy this recipe; even people who don’t particularly care for coconut genuinely love this dish! Dairy is so bad for us and many people can’t even consume it so non-dairy based pasta sauce is truly heaven for all. Go on and indulge without discomfort or guilt, because cheese pasta is just kind of boring!
- 1lb rigatoni noodles (or fettuccine; I prefer to use pasta that is thick & holds up well under sauce)
- 1 can coconut milk (or 1 & 1/2 cups)
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 cup raw cashews (unsalted)
- 2 tablespoons nutritional yeast flakes
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon salt (or to taste)
- Black pepper (to taste)
- Parsley (for garnish)
- 8 ounces of chopped portobello mushrooms
- 2 heads of broccoli (chopped)
- Cook your chosen pasta according to the instructions on its box. Be sure not to cook it too long, you want it to be “al dente”, so it retains its shape under the sauce.
- While your pasta is cooking, add the first seven ingredients for the sauce into your blender and blend until smooth (5-7 minutes depending on blender).
- Sauté the mushrooms and steam the broccoli.
- Add drained pasta and cooked vegetables into a sauté pan and slowly mix in sauce over low to medium heat.
- You’re done! Sprinkle some black pepper, garnish with parsley and serve hot.
Let me know how the recipe worked for you or what variations you tried out!
À la prochaine,
Salomé Luna Gemme